Have we had enough summer fun to be able to settle down to school and work schedules and routine??!!
There is still time to fit in more fun and adventure in the next couple of weeks….
I am going to swim in the ocean every day possible..with goggles, take a couple of tennis lessons and sleep on a little island in the bay and look at stars!
How about you – what are you going to do with the last days of summer?
Of course we will need to spend a little of what is left of summer to prepare for the ‘back-to-school’ season and part of that is being organized for school lunches
Here is a delicious muffin that freezes well and makes a great snack. It is a recipe of my Mother-in-law, Wilma.
This has been my main muffin recipe for years and has undergone many evolutions from the original to make a healthier bite. The flour was changed from white to whole wheat or spelt, the sugar has been cut in half, cinnamon and flax were added.
Wilma baked up one particularly cute little muffin 50 years ago this summer. Now that is a perfect recipe that I won’t be changing!
Wilma’s Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes 24 muffins
6 ripe bananas
3/4 cup sugar (or less)
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup canola oil
3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips OR blueberries, cranberries, ………..
- Preheat oven to 375 and put muffin papers in muffin baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas; mix in sugar, eggs, and oil.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and chocolate chips.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and stir just until blended. Don’t overmix.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.